Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Monthly Stitch March: Miss Bossy Patterns Voting

So I have a few posts almost ready to go up, but I suddenly realised that February is nearly over and I haven't asked the Monthly Stitch collective to vote for my March pattern.

I'm afraid my selection is rather boring after some of the lovely patterns I have seen, but I am limited by my own sense of practicality. At the moment, I am still breastfeeding my son and hope to continue to do so for a while yet, plus whilst the rest of me is nearly there, my bust is nowhere near my pre-pregnancy measurements, so access and flexibility are a consideration for me.

So I have a stack of Megan Nielsen patterns and I would like any lovely person who reads this to vote and tell me which one to make first. I'll probably make a few and see which I like better, but there always has to be a first one and I think until now I have been a bit paralysed by choice.

On to the patterns.

The first is the Pina top. I'm keen to make this up as a dress later (who knows, this could be April's double challenge?).

Then the Lingerie Set tank top. If I make this, I'll make it quickly, because we will only have another month or so that it will be wearable here and then I'll need sleeves.



The Perfect Nursing Top. Sounds like it should be the one, hey? However, it has a modesty panel, which I tend to find frustrating. Possibly making my own will help, but in general, I find that the generosity of my figure tends to overwhelm those panels. I can always leave it out. I'm also not sure about the gathering.

Finally there is the Wrapped Maternity Top. I like the neckline and the fact that it is a bit different.

To help you decide, I will be making it out of some stretch bamboo jersey. If you think one colour looks more awesome than another, please feel free to leave a comment.




Now whichever you pick, I will come up with a coordinating bottom half, probably a skirt. These will be made out of something fun. Something like this:


 So, if you would like to exercise your democratic muscle and vote for a pattern, that would be much appreciated.

Which top should I make?
 
 
 
 
  
pollcode.com free polls 

Also, hooray for me for managing to create a poll. Little things make me happy.

13 comments:

  1. I went with the wrap top. I love Diane Von Furstenberg and all things wrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have wrap love, I must confess. I possibly have the Sew Over It wrap dress pattern on its merry way to me as I write this :)

      Delete
    2. hee hee hee. Moar patterns, MOAR!

      Delete
  2. My vote was for the wrap top (coz I love wrap tops!) and I reckon you should make it out of the bright, darker blue on the far left. So pretty! :-)

    Also, a pattern I found really good for breastfeeding while changing size is the Tiramisu dress from Cake - the bodice can easily be pulled to one side or the other for access, and if you sew all the side seams last you can then take it in later on. (Plus: knit fabric = super comfy and wash-and-wear.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a tiramisu pattern somewhere in The Box, so I might dig it out and have a play. I have some quite nice jersey prints that could be fun in a dress

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I like to have fun things to sew with. I have a Very.Serious.Job. when I'm not at home with my children, so there isn't a lot of scope to be fun there, which means I have to make up for it at home!

      Delete
  4. I went with the pina, I like the neckline and cap sleeves. I love the fabrics, all really pretty! I have a love/ hate relationship with nursing tops, really comfy but tend to be so boring style wise. I'm tandem nursing my kiddos and am at the point now that anything that has any access is now nursing wear :) Can't wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. After three years of being pregnant or breastfeeding, I'm a bit tired of jersey. It's great in a lot of ways, but it can feel a bit repetitive. I'm hoping sewing something myself will make it all feel new!

      Delete
  5. I am so glad there are nursing top patterns. In the early 90s I just word t-shirts. Then when my 12 and 9 year olds were nursing, I couldn't stand many of the styles. I personally think the wrap would be most practical and most figure flattering throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite exciting to have something to sew that I can actually wear day to day. Plus I'm not limited by what is in shops (which can still at times be very limited!)

      Delete
  6. Lovely fabrics!! I also wish I'd thought more about making some maternity/breastfeeding tops as they were on constant rotation for a number of years! I lived in thin-strapped singlets/tanks under everything, these are much nicer! My fabric vote is for the pale blue (& any of the bottom ones!) to enjoy it before autumn brings a love of the richer colours ;) - and the're all fabulous, but like Catja, I've a very soft spot for wrap tops & second the Tiramisu helpfulness if you're a 'pull to one side' lass (I was a lift up lass ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just had a vision of lifting up a tiramisu to feed! ;) I had hoped to make more of these while I was pregnant, but I was just too sick this time. I did make some skirts, which were great, so I'm looking forward to using up some of my jersey and making something new. Some of the tops that have been in rotation since I had my daughter are looking very tired!

    ReplyDelete