Thursday, July 10, 2014

An online fabric haul



Recently Gillian of Crafting a Rainbow put up a fabric haul video and review of some fabrics she purchased online. I thought it was a great idea, partly because it is nice to see people and hear them talk about their sewing/fabric and partly because it is great to actually see how fabric behaves when a person is touching it, particularly when shopping online.

So I had a parcel arrive today (or a present, as my daughter calls it), from Crafty Mama's Fabrics. Crafty Mama is an Australian seller who stocks beautiful fabrics, as well as Ottobre magazine and other interesting patterns. I hadn't ordered from there before, because I got a bit confused with the website and then paralysed by the choices. Indecision may well be the budgeter's friend. However, on a recent browse, I saw some lovely deer fabric (no longer available as far as I can see, but there is this one) and as that is the current movie obsession in our house, thought it would make a great dress. I also fell in love with some kite Lillestoff in the sale section, so they went into the cart. Then I realised that the lovely Lisa (Crafty Mama herself) will also select a surprise range of fabric up to a given value (called a Happy Happy Joy Joy pack), the perfect solution to my indecision (and frustration when I can't find the coordinates I want). I've made a little video of my purchases and I've pulled out some Riley Blake knits (a chevron and a stripe) and Girl Charlee ones (anchors, birds and hearts), for anyone who is curious to see how these behave and sew up. Something I didn't mention in the video, but probably should is that I think I (and others?) can often assume that all jersey will behave like stretch jersey and that isn't a realistic expectation, if a fabric doesn't contain lycra it isn't going to have that awesome stretch, but sometimes that's a good thing.

br />

If anyone ends up watching this, I'll be sure to post another with my next purchases, probably next week...

Just a note, I purchased all these fabrics and am not affiliated with any retailers, the opinions are all my own.

4 comments:

  1. BWahahaha - my favroutie line is: "If it's stretching that much, you might want to make a bigger size!" Brilliant. Your video was really fun to watch, and a particularly nice way to get to you know! You described all the fabrics clearly, and I can definitely see that I want to get my hands on some Riley Blake and European knits! Thanks for recording it, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and can I link to it when I do my next post about the quality of knits by quilting cotton designers?

      Delete
    2. If you think it would be useful to people, feel free to include it :) I cut out a dress from the RB last night and it was very obedient, who knows, it may even get sewn tonight!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely review- thankyou so much!
    Lisa :) aka Crafty Mama

    ReplyDelete